Choosing a Personal Injury Attorney
Choosing the right attorney is the most significant step in your process of recovery. However, this can be difficult with so many attorneys in the phonebook and on the Internet. Here is a list of useful tips that can help you find the right attorney and get you started on your path to recovery:
- Find out how many years has he or she been practicing? What are some of his or her representative results? Does he or she practice all kinds of law (i.e., the general practice attorney) or does he or she focus on injury cases?
- Once you have performed this research, you will want to interview your potential attorney. Do you feel comfortable with this person? Will he or she return your phone calls and e-mails personally and promptly? Does he or she explain things to you in layman’s terms?
- Does this attorney know how to release any liens which may attach to your case settlement or award? For instance, in some cases, Medicare may have an automatic lien on your case. If your attorney is not experienced in handling these matters, you could be left owing Medicare for medical payments they have made on your behalf. Liens may also exist between you and your treating physicians, collection agencies, and insurance companies.
- Can this attorney explain, to your satisfaction, what he or she can do for you? (See FAQ section of this website: “What will a Personal Injury Attorney do for me?”)
You can expect Steffens Law Office to provide the following professional service:
- Thoroughly investigate the accident, and help you memorialize important information with photos and interviews.
- Advise you regarding medical treatment.
- Protect you from unscrupulous insurance companies who want to diminish the value of your case.
- Monitor your medical records for accuracy and treatment.
- Advise you regarding what needs to be done, and when, in order to reach maximum medical improvement, and to receive fair compensation for your damages.
- Contact you on a frequent and regular basis for personal status reports.
- When the time is right, prepare a detailed “Demand Package” with an eye toward settling your case, if possible.
- If the Insurance Company is unwilling to pay you a fair value to settle, then file a lawsuit to pursue your claim.
Please take a few moments to visit the Attorney Profiles and Results page to learn more about Steffens Law Office and how it has been able to help other injured parties. You may also wish to read our Blog and learn other important information that can help you protect you and your loved ones